Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Can't forget the coffee cakes!

Two more big labor day kitchen developments - monday morning coffee cakes!
I tried to different recipes and was proud to finally open cookbooks. I'm not gonna lie, I generally just google and print but wanted to put all of those bookmarked recipes to use. I chose the "sock-it-to-me" cake from the Neely's new book --> Down Home With the Neely's
Problem is... the recipe called for only 1/4 cups flour... strange and definitely incorrect. I boosted it to 2 1/4 cups and later googled and found the misprint online. It was supposed to be 2 1/4, but the out of order add-in made my cake a little mis-layered, but still delicious.





Not quite as delicious as the other cake from the Deen Bros. Cookbook, their recipe titled: Cherry-Stuffed Pecan Steusel Coffee Cake, but I eliminated the pecans and swapped the cherry jam for raspberry preserves. I'm always looking to make things my own. Aside from being gorgeous, it was fantastic and I might be making it at least every month with different flavor combinations.

 
And, just for fun - gotta mention the Watermelon Sangria from FoodandWine. Cheers to a lovely end to a lovely summer!

3 comments: